Wednesday, January 18, 2012

When Your Adorable Shirts No Longer Fit You...



There are these 3 shirts that I keep coming across in my closet that I cannot bear to part with because they are so cute, but yet I never wear them because they all fit me tighter than I would like...

So the other day my friend's little girl was wearing this adorable little sweater dress and it gae me a great idea- turn my too tight fitting shirts into adorable dresses for my daughter! So I did it in a matter of a couple hours, while the little man slept and it actually turned out, so here's my "how to".
 
But before we get into it let me just say that I am by no means a legit seamstress. I have no idea how to follow a pattern and probably break most, if not all, sewing rules but sometimes it works out o.k.!

So here's what I did...


1. Put shirt on your little model, turned inside out, and pin above shoulders and under arms until it fits how you like. You can also use one of her dresses as your pattern, but this way has never really worked out for me.









2. Take the shirt off and lay it, still pinned and inside out, onto a cutting mat. Then with a straight edge and a rotary blade, cut a diagonal line from the underarm to the hem of the shirt on both sides and pin in place.












3. Once the shirts are cut and pinned, take them to you sewing machine and sew up the seams! The way I did mine was I sewed a straight line from the top of the shoulder to the end of the sleeve and then from the othe end of the seleve, under the armpit and all the way down to the bottom hem of the dress.  This is why I say I am not a legit seamstress and break all the rules, but this time it worked for me!






Last, all you need is your sassy little model to take some pics for you! She seems to be enjoying them, don't ya think?! 

1 comment:

  1. SO CUTE! I am totally impressed by your mad, un-legit sewing skills, and Lia's modeling skills too!

    ReplyDelete